Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Minotaurs and horny things

Salutations,            
Tonight's blog is about Minotaurs and you guessed it, dolls!... I'm slightly predictable,sorry about that... anyways here we go...
Whats a Minotaur?   SO glad you asked ! A Minotaur is from Greek mythology and it is a creature that is half Bull and half Man... usually the head is the bull part. (click on pics to enlarge)
But.. I'm going to make this into a girl.. .. here's my take on it
and here is the 'utterly ' ridiculous part... I had several friends whom knew I was creating this
suggest to me that a female would be a Cow,well that is true.
They also suggested that 'she' might have .. umm Utters...... or several pairs of breasts...
right about now you figured out that these friends are probably male...
Moving on I said "NAY!".. smh
So I picked Clawdeen Wolf (Monster High Doll) Nice bronzy skin-tone and a great nose to work with.
so there's a few things to keep in mind for this
  • Hooves /hind knees
  • bovine nose/features
  • horns
everything else can be your own
I started by creating the back calf.I wanted to keep the leg intact
so a lot of sculpting was to be done. I used a hardening epoxy for the base to make it really strong.
This stuff was designed for fixing tile and is a bit tricky to use because of wearing a mask/gloves and you only have 5 mins molding time.. WHoot! (cue the tremendous amounts of pics)
start of the leg re-sculpt
wrapping and sculpting polymer    
Over most of the leg wrapped and sculpted polymer on to the leg with a glue base.. I then brushed liquid Sculpty  on top... it looks bad at first but it works out I promise ...
it looks bad,but it hasn't been cooked yet
Really important!! I knew there was no way with all this clay I was going to get around baking the entire doll and I didn't  like that ,it seems with the original dolls Frankie ,Draculaura etc...they don't do very well with excessive baking... but somehow the Add-ons parts from the (create a monster labs) can really Take a POUNDING!... maybe someone should say something about that.. but really what are you going to say " Hey Mattel I'm mad I can't cook your dolls like a turkey!!".. meh, nevermind..
polymer neckpiece

WHile that was all baking I started working on costume pieces.
for some strange reason I wanted the colors to be red with gold accents.
Gold fabric with hand cut shapes


when the legs were cooled from baking I first painted them brown and then I used Tacky glueand applied fur in layers
                                                    

                                                               added tribal style markings


Horns, after I shaped the wire,I did a few coats of hardening acrylic to make them strong( lord knows these things might bump around in transit) then I laid and smoothed a layer of polymer clay over the top.

FACE TIME!
I wanted to reshape the nose a bit to give her more of a bovine look,I added the nose ring first ,I was afraid messing with the ring after I sculpted would possibly crack the acrylic. I brushed on some acrylic a little scratchy so it would look a bit like fur

still looking too cat like
she started to look like a cat so I had to really look at some cows to get an idea of what... well you know makes them look like COWS!
Getting there
I changed the contour of her face using pastel/chalks and a dry paint brush.
Cows always have fabulous lashes these are embedded and crazy glued.
DONE, with a final coat of MSC before glossing the eyes
ANd Finish!




And there she is all finished!
Sorry a few details were left out  but I hope you enjoyed this very Mooo-y Blog.
I'm working on the Subscription button I hope it's working now,please let me know in the comments!
Also I always post on  my TUMBLR <----HERE
also my other links are on the right side of the page.
THank you for reading! and Have a very Moooo-y evening!! :)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your work is AMAZING!

    I've been checking out Monster High mods for a few months now, but these are honestly the best I've seen anywhere!

    I think my favourite so far is your orc, but really all of them are incredible work.

    Thank you so much for posting your tutorials, I'm holding to try my first project soon and this is really helpful stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately no, the subscribe does not work

    ReplyDelete